Western Penitentiary, SCI Pittsburgh

Located on the Ohio River just 5 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, Western Penitentiary opened in 1882 and was designed by architects Theodore Eicholz and Harry Viehman. Western Penitentiary is Pennsylvania’s oldest prison and operated continuously until it was “mothballed” in January 2005 due to overcrowded conditions, periodic flooding, security concerns, and high operating costs. In July 2007 West Pen will re-open as a minimum to lower-medium security prison to assist with overcrowding in Pennsylvania’s other correctional facilities. It will provide drug and alcohol treatment to approx. 1500 inmates.





















































































Continue to next page >>